Financial Aid

If you are looking for funding sources to support your EMJM TPTI project, we recommend that you first look for national sources of funding in your home country. Contact your relevant ministries for information, as well as the embassies of France, Italy or Portugal. We make available to students a list of possible scholarships. Please contact us to develop a financing plan for your studies (


Erasmus+ scholarships

Erasmus+ is a European student exchange program that allows you to study in Europe. The network of contacts ensures a good welcome and daily support for your studies abroad.

An Erasmus+ grant can be awarded to you if you carry out part of your studies: 

  • in a foreign European country
  • at a higher education institution
  • as part of an inter-institutional exchange.

The amount of the Erasmus+ grant depends on the type of mobility (study stay or internship) and the country in which you are going. The amount is generally between 150€ and 500€ per month depending on the type of mobility. Contact your school's international relations department to find out the exact amount of the allowance that will be paid to you during your stay.

You can benefit from an "inclusion" supplement of 250€ if you meet certain criteria, such as:

  • being disabled or suffering from a long-term illness (ALD)
  • be a scholarship holder on social criteria level 6 or 7.

The Erasmus+ grant can be combined with the grant on social criteria as well as with the International Mobility Grant. Other grants can be obtained depending on the conditions of cumulation and the grants offered by the local authorities. Please contact your school's international relations department to find out the precise conditions for combining European, ministerial, regional and municipal grants, etc.


International Mobility Assistance (AMI)

The international mobility assistance allows you to follow a higher education program abroad as part of an exchange program or to do an international internship.

The international mobility grant (400€ / month) can be awarded to you if you meet the following conditions:

  • your assisted stay abroad lasts between 2 and 9 consecutive months. During the course of your higher education studies, you cannot receive more than 9 months of international mobility assistance
  • you are a higher education grant holder based on social criteria or a beneficiary of an annual allowance (specific aid system)
  • you are preparing a national diploma under the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Higher Education in a public higher education institution that has entered into a contractual agreement with the State
  • your training or internship abroad is part of your course of study.    

To benefit from the AMI, send a request for mobility assistance to the international relations department of your institution, along with a project for an international study period or internship. The head of the institution will select the applications according to the quality and pedagogical interest of the students' individual projects and their conformity with the institution's international policy.

The aid will be granted according to the length of your stay and certain specificities such as the distance from the host country and the cost of living in the chosen country. International mobility assistance can be combined with merit-based aid. Depending on the country in which you are going, you will keep your social criteria grant and the Erasmus+ grant.

The payment of international mobility grants is entrusted to the higher education institutions. The head of your home institution is obliged to check your attendance in the courses provided for in your educational project, or even your presence in the case of an internship.  If you fail to do so, the institution will immediately stop payment of the aid.


French government scholarships

Few foreign students (about 22,000 each year) benefit from scholarships awarded by France. These are primarily intended for PhD  students. The aid is set up and financed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. They are then managed by the Egide (the association that organizes the reception and stay of foreign students) and the CNOUS (National Center for Academic and Academic Works), a public body that deals with students. More than 80% of the grants are awarded under the cooperation programs negotiated between the French embassies and foreign governments. Other aid is allocated under specific programs, such as the doctor's scholarship or the "Major" scholarship, which is aimed at former students of French high schools abroad.


Scholarship on social criteria

In addition to these exceptional scholarships, the French government issues grants based on social criteria, that is to say the resources of the student and his family. Ask for a student social file (DSE) between the 15th of February and the 30th of April preceding the start of the school year at the service of the CROUS scholarships (the Cnous of your region).

Can you get a scholarship on social criteria? The "number of charge points" must be calculated. Depending on your number of charge points and the overall gross income of your parents, you will be ranked in a level of 0 to 6. Only CROUS have qualified to rank students in these levels.

Rights provided by this scholarship. Depending on your charge points and your parents' income, you will be ranked in one of six existing levels:

- Level 0 students (corresponding to the highest income) are not eligible for a CROUS grant, but can obtain an exemption from university fees in public institutions and the payment of student social security contributions.

- students in grades 1 to 6 receive an annual grant of:

  • level 1 = 1525 €
  • level 2 = 2298 €
  • level 3 = 2945 €
  • level 4 = 3590 €
  • level 5 = 4122 €
  • level 6 = 4370 €


Bilateral programs

Scholarships are made available under bilateral assistance programs between France and foreign governments or under an annual scholarship program. The fields of study are identified in each agreement and generally correspond to the needs expressed by the foreign partner. Many grants are jointly funded. Information on these scholarships can be obtained from the cultural services of the French Embassy in your country, or from the French consulate.


Campus France Scholarships


Scholarships awarded by your country of origin

These are the scholarships you are most likely to get. In fact, the majority of foreign students receive money from their country. The impossibility of pursuing higher education in one's own territory (for example, because the training concerned is not offered or there is no quality institution providing it) is one of the situations taken into account for the award of financial aid. You can also get merit scholarships or say "on social criteria". Check with your Ministry of Education and / or your home institution. If you have obtained one of these scholarships, notify your embassy once arrived on French soil. She is in charge of her award.

International Scholarships

Fellowships from international organizations such as the UN, UNESCO or WHO are primarily awarded to PhD or research students who have applied in their country. Unesco publishes a scholarship guide, Study abroad, to be ordered from See also the special page on the Egide website. Do not forget the scholarships awarded by the Commission of the European Union, if you are European. Inquire at your university and on the website

See also: other foundations and associations: 

General search engines to find scholarships and financial aid



logo TPTI 200px

logo EACEA